Sunday, June 28, 2009

Thing #25, Part 3

This was a fun and functional Thing. I really like Satellite view but I had already discovered it. It was fun to see how close to Carhenge some of the markers were and how off the others were. I had tracked down Carhenge when I went "out west" in 1994 (before I met my husband). I found directions in the McDonald's and back tracked out there. (This was after the highway was moved.) I also gave my husband 3 chances to see Carhenge for himself when we came back from the Black Hills in 2006.

I have done a preliminary map of our upcoming Yellowstone Trip. I will update it after we are back. There won't be any personal photos. This was what stymied me with Flickr in the original NE Learns 2.0 (Things #8-10). We don't have a home computer with internet or a working camera to download to the internet. I am lucky to be able to use work computers on my own time.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=115745056696176446678.00046d5d0d64269bae737

I didn't claim my library because I am not the director. I also do not work on the website, so I could not embed a map on our website. I will probably try to suggest helping with this after her vacation (which is after mine). Maybe Pam will have some more map ideas that I can help her with.

May update:
One of my Google alerts hit paydirt.

http://melindamusil.com/2009/06/22/holdrege-ne/?show=gallery

Melinda's father was born and lived through his junior high years here. She even took 2 passing pictures of the library (on the west side). Also Image 16 of the miscellaneous buildings is a shot of the front (south) windows.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Thanks for the update on your Google Alert hit! A good reminder to folks who didn't find anything interesting right away that you never know when someone might post something about your library or town!

Allana said...

I like your map for your Yellowstone trip. I just got back from vacation myself and was happy I spent a bit of time looking at the Google Maps. Before the trip I was able to use Street Views to see the area and place where we were staying. It helped me know I was in the right spot as I was driving to it.