Saturday, September 26, 2009

Thing 28

Google Reader (GR) is my personal playtime RSS. I had set it up back in Thing 6 & 7. (I loved it so much I let myself get distracted off the 23 Things. It is much easier doing just one Thing a month.) I get to GR most days on break or lunch/supper hour or after hours (like now). I added the NE Learns 2.0 Link to GR although I also have it on Bloglines (my business one). I added bookFields and learning new things for my fellow participant's blogs although I find it easier to follow blogs in Blogger itself. All I have to do is click on the name of the blog and it comes up with the most recent first.

I play around with my feeds every once in a while, organizing, deleting, redoing (like my major overhaul of the DarkGate Comic Slurper, and I'm still missing 2 comics and then 1 other repeats 7 times the same day, auugh) and adding. My adds for September are Bernat, The Knitting Yarn and CartoonSmart.com Blog. I will need a new folder for the Crafts.

I have added 4 shared items and used the Send to option for them. They show above my followers in this blog.

I really like GR over Bloglines in one important (for me) aspect. When you look at a feed in GR it will let you know how many more items you have not looked at in this feed, but in Bloglines it makes everything "read" and sometimes I have to skim through it very fast. But GR will not keep things indefinately. I learned that recently also. It will dump anything you haven't read when it is a month old.

1 comment:

Allana said...

Hi Brenda, I’m happy you are enjoying GR. In your post I saw that you liked the fact that the most recent items came up first in the other reader you use. Did you realize in GR that you can set the sort order for both Folders and individual blog feeds? If you are viewing an individual feed click on the Feeds Settings dropdown. It’s located right above the area were you actually read your feeds. That dropdown will allow you to select Sort by oldest or Sort by newest. If you are viewing a folder you have the same options however the dropdown button will be labeled Folder Settings.